Navigate the complexities of TUPE and develop the confidence to successfully manage a TUPE transfer.
TUPE is arguably one of the most challenging aspects of employment law. Navigating the complexities and risks involved in the TUPE process can often leave people professionals feeling anxious and apprehensive.
This course will equip you with the confidence and knowledge to successfully manage a TUPE transfer, support your employees through the process and ensure legal obligations are met.
Created by UK employment law experts, in conjunction with CIPD, this programme takes a principles-led and evidence-based approach and uses case studies to bring the information to life. You’ll learn the differences between a business transfer and a service transfer and discover the practical steps needed to manage the changes that can occur as a result of a TUPE transfer.
All CIPD Learning courses will automatically provide you with access to the CIPD Learning Hub, our online learning platform, for 24 months.
The hub will house your course content, as well as useful resources, tools, and a community of professionals that you can tap into to support your learning and continual development.
The objectives of this course are:
- identify the key considerations in a TUPE transfer
- describe the legal requirements that must be carried out in a transfer situation
- prepare information for employees and arrange consultation channels
- manage changes arising from TUPE constructively and proactively
- take appropriate action to ensure fairness and avoid unfair dismissals relating to a TUPE situation.
Is this course right for me?
This course is designed for established people professionals who want to increase their understanding, confidence, and competency in managing a TUPE transfer.
I want to put my team on this course
Boost your team’s understanding of TUPE and their role in the process. Equip them with the confidence and fundamental skills they need to run a TUPE and support employees through this complex procedure.
If you are looking to place more than four learners onto this course, please contact us to discuss a team solution >
By the end of this course, you’ll be able to:
- identify a potential transfer situation
- create a legal checklist for managing a TUPE
- plan ahead for the transfer requirements
- produce a TUPE information pack for employees
- plan communication and consultation activities
- be aware of what is unfair dismissal and take action to ensure fairness and mitigate risk.
This course is delivered virtually over 1 day. It has 3.45 hours of facilitated online learning. Self-directed learning is recommended: estimated 1 hour before and 4 hours after the course.
The course will cover the following topics:
The fundamentals of TUPE
- The legislation – what is a TUPE transfer?
- The purpose of TUPE in protecting employees’ rights in a transfer situation
- What is a TUPE transfer, who transfers, why and when?
- The difference between a business transfer and a service transfer
Consultation and changing terms and conditions
- Information and consultation obligations in a TUPE situation
- Employee liability information (ELI) – what is ELI and what are the legal requirements in providing this information
- Economic, technical and operational (ETO) – what it is and how it applies in a TUPE situation
- Legalities of changing terms and conditions in a TUPE situation
- Identifying practical steps when managing changes associated with TUPE
Dismissals relating to TUPE
- The legal rights on dismissal
- The principle of fairness
- The ETO defence
You’ll be equipped with a workbook with the necessary materials and given pre-course reading. On completion of the course, you’ll receive a Certificate of Attendance.