HR In Practice
Learn the fundamentals of HR, build confidence, and improve your effectiveness in handling HR issues.
This highly participative course explores the fundamentals of HR and provides an overview of HR in practice. You’ll cover how to prioritise HR work, risk assessment of a HR situation, and recognise where immediate and longer-term attention needs to be given.
The programme will provide an overview of recruitment techniques, how to maintain good employee relations, where relationships can break down, and what actions support high morale and productivity.
You’ll discover how to recognise different types of under-performance and how and when to intervene. The course will also introduce you to UK employment law, including basic contractual and HR policy issues.
All CIPD Learning courses will automatically provide you with access to the CIPD Learning Hub, our online learning platform, for 24 months.
The hub will house your course content, as well as useful resources, tools, and a community of professionals that you can tap into to support your learning and continual development.
The objectives of this course are:
- build knowledge of the role of HR professionals
- identify the ways in which HR professionals add value and prioritise their work
- develop knowledge of UK employment law
- effectively manage basic employment contracts and HR policy
- identify where risks of unlawful discrimination can occur and take appropriate mitigating steps and ensure fairness
- apply good practice recruitment techniques
- explain the need to maintain good employee relations and the risks to this
- create conditions to support high morale and productivity
- recognise different types of under-performance and how and when to intervene
- critically evaluate performance management practices
- build confidence as an HR professional.
Is this course right for me?
If you are new to HR, have no formal HR training, are responsible for HR related tasks in a smaller organisation or are contemplating a career move, then this course is ideal for you. It provides a thorough overview of HR. It’ll help boost your confidence in managing HR issues and encourage you to explore and exchange ideas with other participants to support each other’s learning.
I want to put my team on this course
This course will equip your team by building and reinforcing the fundamental practice of HR and help them develop confidence to both support and take ownership of core elements of HR practice.
They’ll develop skills in effective prioritisation, the confidence to apply effective recruitment techniques, how to support performance management processes and how to build employee engagement. They’ll also be able to ensure fairness and mitigate the risk of discrimination.
If you are looking to place more than four learners onto this course, please contact us to discuss a team solution >
By the end of this course, you’ll be able to:
- describe the contribution of good HR practice in achieving company objectives
- apply good recruitment and selection practice to support your organisation/wider HR department
- develop your performance and personal effectiveness in handling a range of HR issues
- increase your confidence in your work as an HR professional.
This two day face-to-face programme will cover the following topics:
- The changing role and scope of HR
- The UK legal context
- Recruitment and selection
- Performance management
- Managing underperformance
You’ll receive a Certificate of Attendance on completion of the programme.