Build your knowledge, skills and confidence in handling grievance, discipline, and dismissal procedures.
This online course provides the opportunity for you to explore, discuss and fully understand your legal and ethical responsibilities towards your employer and its people when facilitating or supporting grievance, disciplinary or dismissal procedures.
The course covers both addressing matters in the correct way from a legal perspective and doing so from an ethical and people-focused perspective. Therefore, enabling a principles-led approach to grievance, discipline, and dismissals to be confidently implemented.
This is not a programme about just ticking legal boxes; it is about supporting everyone involved to arrive at mutually satisfactory outcomes and is accordingly built on CIPD principles and values.
All CIPD Learning courses will automatically provide you with access to the CIPD Learning Hub, our online learning platform, for 24 months.
The hub will house your course content, as well as useful resources, tools, and a community of professionals that you can tap into to support your learning and continual development.
In this course you will:
- explain the difference between a fair and unfair dismissal
- describe the legal process to be followed when managing a disciplinary situation
- know how to respond to a grievance situation
- manage redundancy fairly
- effectively manage difficult situations which could lead to dismissal.
Is this course right for me?
This course is most suitable for people professionals (both HR and line managers) who want to learn more about the legalities of managing grievances, disciplinaries, and dismissals. It will ensure their handling of these challenging situations is fair and proportionate.
I want to put my team on this course
Ensure your people function or managers are handling grievances, disciplinaries, and dismissals procedures in a fair and proportionate manner. Equip them with the knowledge, skills, and confidence to handle these situations and ensure the best possible outcomes for your organisation and its people.
If you are looking to place more than four learners onto this course, please contact us to discuss a team solution >
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- operate effectively in disciplinary and grievance situations
- explain the difference between fair and unfair dismissals
- act as a trusted adviser on all disciplinary and grievance situations which arise
- advocate for the legally compliant management of disciplinary and grievance situations in the organisation.
This course is delivered virtually over 2 consecutive days. Each day has 3.45 hours of facilitated online learning. Self-directed learning is recommended: estimated 1 hour before and 5 hours after the course.
The course will cover the following topics:
- Following a fair procedure
- Potentially fair reasons for dismissal
- Specific dismissal situations
- Difficult situations
- Settling a claim
On completion, you will receive a Certificate of Attendance.