Essential People Skills for Line Managers
Motivate and inspire your team to perform at their best and drive maximum value for your organisation.
As a line manager, you play a vital role in managing people and operations on a daily basis. By effectively adopting suitable management styles, you’ll be able to support individual development and achieve team and organisational goals.
This course will explore the skills you need to realise your team’s potential to ensure they perform at their best. It’ll address the fundamentals of how to be a good people manager and the rudimentary practical techniques to increase your communication, motivation and delegation skills.
The programme will reinforce the importance and need for performance management and identify how to boost engagement and empower your team to add maximum value to your organisation.
All CIPD Learning courses will automatically provide you with access to the CIPD Learning Hub, our online learning platform, for 24 months.
The hub will house your course content, as well as useful resources, tools, and a community of professionals that you can tap into to support your learning and continual development.
The objectives for this course are:
- define the role of the manager and leading others
- explore management styles
- define delegation
- explain, what, when and how to delegate
- describe the role of a leader
- describe the change process and its main steps
- explore the emotional responses to change and how to manage them
- explore coaching as an effective communication technique
- describe coaching models, active listening and questioning skills
- explore a range of motivational theories
- recognise that people are motivated in different ways
- identify how to increase engagement through the drivers of mastery, autonomy and purpose
- define performance management
- explain the performance management process and models
- explore behaviour drivers including SCARF, positive psychology and strengths-based approach and how they relate to performance.
Is this course right for me?
Are you new to people management? Are you an aspiring manager or simply looking to develop your capability further? This course will provide you with knowledge of good management practice and the fundamental techniques of how to encourage and drive performance within your team.